Wednesday, October 24, 2018

What A Friend We Have In Jesus

My Grandma Re couldn't sing. Neither could my Grandma Charlotte. But this fact never kept either of them from singing. They hummed. They sung loudly. And they praised their Lord and Savior whenever they were given the chance. 

My Grandma Charlotte and I were driving down West 7th Street in Saint Paul one bright morning when I was a young teen. She was humming under her breath.  I didn't have a clue what song it was, but she seemed to be enjoying herself. She observed me watching her, and said, "Sing with me Kelli!"  I busted out laughing and told her I sure would if I could actually tell what she was singing.  We laughed together. We laughed until we cried. Driving down West 7th street in her strange, brown, somewhat pink shiny car. We laughed all the way back to her home in Little Canada. 

My Grandma Re, was quite possibly the worst singer in the history of bad singers.  This is not an exaggeration. When she sang, she sang with gusto. I remember once sitting at the dinning room table with my Grandpa Kelley playing a game, and hearing her in the kitchen. I glanced in to see her standing in front of the kitchen sink with with hands held high. She had taken a minute out of her rush to put dinner on the table and given glory to her King.  Her out of tune profession of her Love for her Savior wasn't refused. God didn't care what she sounded like. It might have been sweet to His ears as she was singing from her heart.  

Not once, have I ever been able to hear or sing the song What A Friend We Have In Jesus without thinking about both of my grandmothers. I loved them both dearly and miss them.  But I have memories such as these that I will always hold dear. Especially singing this beautiful hymn. 

What a Friend we have in Jesus, 
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry 
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, 
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry 
everything to God in prayer. 

Have we trials and temptations? 
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; 
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful 
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; 
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, 
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, 
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? 
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; 
you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised 
Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to 
Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there 
will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship 
will be our sweet portion there.

Words: Joseph Scriven (1857)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Know What That Means- By: Kelli J Gavin for Writers Unite!

I Know What That Means By: Kelli J Gavin After my family moved to Minneapolis three years ago, my parents refused to visit us in our ne...