Friday, October 12, 2018

Encourage



Everyone seems to have something to say. And it is usually negative.  People critique, judge, scoff, insult, and decimate others with words alone.  Why do we do that to other people? Why to do we open our mouth with the intent to hurt others? When you love a friend or a family member, shouldn't words of adoration and kindness be spoken.

I have joked about the statement, Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself.  But isn't that an accurate saying? The words that tear down are the words that destroy, maim, wound to the core.  Not only do we hurt others when our tongue goes unrestrained, we hurt ourselves. We mar the image of those that we insult. In our own eyes and others.  Why? Does it feel good? No. And if it does, the condition of a persons heart needs to be evaluated. We wreck relationships with the words we choose to communicate to others.

We are called to love. Called to be kind. Called to build each other up. We are called to encourage. Speak words that we would want spoken in return. We want to point out all of the amazing things we see in others. Never the faults. Grab a mirror and look back at your reflection. You have flaws just like everyone else. No one wants them to be pointed out over and over again. No one wants to be viewed as a failure.

Today I challenge you. If words that hurt and scar seem to leave your lips more often than words that encourage, flip the script. Make a choice to notice when those critical remarks seem to bear their ugly head to draw them back in. They are never needed. Bit by bit, word by word, throw them into the miry pit. Never to be used again.

Start being honest. Start noticing other people. Begin with simple complements and by thanking other people. Show appreciation.
I like your smile. 
Thank you for your help.
I appreciate you.

When someone is struggling, offer kindness.
I see this is challenging for you.
I like seeing you try.
If you would like any help, please ask. 

When someone succeeds.
Congratulations on your success.
I am so happy that your hard work and effort has paid off.

When someone fails, build them up.
I am so sorry. 
I know how it feels to not succeed.
What can I do to help you?

These simple words, these simple words of kindness help more than you will ever know.  Always remember to be an encourager. The world has plenty of critics already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Know What That Means- By: Kelli J Gavin for Writers Unite!

I Know What That Means By: Kelli J Gavin After my family moved to Minneapolis three years ago, my parents refused to visit us in our ne...