Monday, September 11, 2017

Let Me Show You

Zach came home today with so much tell say about his 5th day of 9th Grade at Chanhassen High School.  There were six sentences written, vocabulary words, work boxes, lunch and Zach got excited as he talked about DAPE. (Adaptive Physical Education for special needs students)

Zach said,  "We reached our hands up high and down to toes. We stretch and stretch and we do this...." Zach learned awkwardly against the wall and pushed and pushed. He smiled and said, "Woo. So strong!"

We love when Zach reinacts his day. I don't know what the actual movement was that he was trying to show us as he pushed so hard against the wall. I don't know if it was a stretch or a game. But I do know is that Zach was happy doing it, showing us what he did and talking about how strong he is. We praised him for his great attitude and for talking about DAPE as he often doesn't have much to say about his day.

I made dinner, we ate and I started cleaning up , preparing for tomorrow.   I started thinking about the fact that I was completely engaged with Zach even if only for a few minutes. Eye to eye , he continued to talk and show me more things. When I am busy, racing around trying to accomplish everything, I as a mother can miss out on so much. Maybe it is a sad or disappointing facial expression from my daughter. Or an extra show off moment from Zach. Tonight because I made eye contact, Zach talked LONGER, he stayed present LONGER and engaged LONGER.  My kids just need my attention. They need my love. They need my encouragement.

More of the-- You did a great job! I am so proud of you! I love talking with you! Thank you for sharing with me about your day! I love being your mom! Sign for me another song from choir . Show me your amazing artwork!

And a whole lot less of-- I don't have time. I have to make dinner. I have a deadline. I have to do the dishes and the laundry first. Let me get this done first. Can we talk about this later?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Know What That Means- By: Kelli J Gavin for Writers Unite!

I Know What That Means By: Kelli J Gavin After my family moved to Minneapolis three years ago, my parents refused to visit us in our ne...