Sunday, September 10, 2017

Hives Outta Nowhere

I apologize for the flurry of Gavin's leaving church today during the service. The kids and I bolted when Zach had an allergic reaction to something. No clue. He leaned into me and held his jaw in his hand and said ow ow. I looked at him and from ear to chin red on fire hives. Poor kid. The one Sunday Josh had to take my van to work, I didn't have a meds bag in his car. I only had one expired zyrtec in my purse. I got that into him asked for cortisone or hydrocortisone or benedryl. Couldn't locate any. Sweet Bailey grabbed Lily from the 4s and 5s where she was serving, and I grabbed Zach from the service and we bolted. By that time, (all of 5 minutes) he started getting more hives down his right leg near a bite he got yesterday. (maybe the bite has something to do with it.) Raced home. Filled him with liquid benedryl and anti itch cream all over his face. He wanted an ice water bottle against his face.

The immediate need for meds stems from Zach's inability to not scratch his skin. Arms, legs, face, have all been scratched open because Zach isn't able to leave irritated skin alone. When a child has autism, you want to rectify the problem and bring relief as soon as possible, because often times,  they do not totally understand what is even happening.

Zach will be fine. I will keep an eye on him and give him more meds if need be. - My Lesson Learned? Always store a med bag in both cars and check expiration dates to make sure you have the most effective meds available when something odd happens away from home. - - - Zach just said--I feel better from the itch. 💗

Update...Zach is doing great! He was so tired from the meds he laid down for a rest.  When he woke,the red was all gone and there were just raised bumps. The hives on his legs were completely gone. He was happy and said he was still tired but feeling better. He is now playing on the iPad and singing!  He even asked if we were returning to church tonight.  I told him probably,  but with a complete med bag in the glove box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bags

I was thrilled when I realized I didn't have to race off anywhere this morning. I got the kids up and off to school and then had one ear...