Wednesday, June 6, 2018

The Grass That Sways

When the grass sways from the mighty wind
And hits my ankles and brushes my legs
I fondly remember a simpler time when
I thought being outside was my job

When mom and dad would send us out
To play all day and return for food
Maybe even water and an afternoon rest
Under the big oak tree in the front yard

When dirt was something to seek
And I knew all the birds by name
Because they kindly called out to me
Each morning to come and play

My sister and I would join in the fun
A few neighbor kids by our side
We would run and play and sing and
Shout and chase each day away

In the country the freedom we had
To explore and create new adventures
Each day led to the promise of sleep
Every night our heads hit the pillow

I now find myself lingering outdoors
And seeking out the wind and the rain
The sun and even the shade because
I miss what I had when I was a kid

Nothing to distract me from the fun of
Each new day when dishes and laundry
And meals seemed to be ready for me
I know it was all done by my mom

I thank her for enabling my sister and I
To take in all the sights and sounds
Of which our country home offered
To us in abundance each and every day

Our mom insisted that we be kids
And enjoy all the nature that surrounded
Us on every side and in every season
Oh how I loved my job as a kid

Today I will explore
Today I will walk in the fields
Today I will pick flowers
Today I will enjoy the grass that sways

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Know What That Means- By: Kelli J Gavin for Writers Unite!

I Know What That Means By: Kelli J Gavin After my family moved to Minneapolis three years ago, my parents refused to visit us in our ne...