Tuesday, April 9, 2019

A Chance Encounter With Ryan Six Years Ago


4/9/13

It has been six days since I met a young man named Ryan. He rang up my purchases at CVS. Silver glitter on his eye lashes, blue sparkles on his finger nails and a beautiful teal tie. Intrigued, I started chatting with him. Funny, a bit of a goof. I looked down. While locating my debit card and saw his bare arms for the first time. Instantly tearful, I couldn't even speak. At some point, Ryan had been a serious cutter. Not an inch of his forearms wasn't raised with healed wounds. I got my emotions under control, looked up at him and he said, "It's ok. I am better now. It was hard growing up. But life is better now." 

I smiled and told him I believe in the power prayer. I told Ryan that I wound pray for strength and comfort as he navigates life. I started thinking about physical wounds and emotional wounds. The ones we can't see. We all need to make a conscious effort to be kind and encouraging because we do not know what challenges others are facing on a daily basis or in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Know What That Means- By: Kelli J Gavin for Writers Unite!

I Know What That Means By: Kelli J Gavin After my family moved to Minneapolis three years ago, my parents refused to visit us in our ne...