Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Capernaum- Special Needs Youth Group

I just did something I have never done before. I dropped Zach off at the Grace Church Eden Prairie Campus for Capernaum. It is the equivalent of youth group for special needs kids in high school. It has taken me a month of talking to him about it and raving about how much fun he would have for him to finally agree to go.  So tonight from 7 to 8:30 pm, Zach gets to be with other kids who are just like him. Some with Autism, some with Down Syndrome, some with physical issues, all with special needs.  Zach will be surrounded by young adults and adults that are there to serve the special needs community.

A call to serve is an amazing thing.  Not everyone has the skill set or the patience to work with kids who have extra needs.  It requires extra effort, lots of energy and the ability to navigate several needs at once. I as a special needs parent still struggle daily!  I am always so very thankful when I walk into church like tonight and see 10 smiling people, ready to help, ready to answer questions, give direction and to enable my child to have an amazing time. It made me so happy to know that I was leaving Zach in extremely capable, well equipped hands.  This is a new activity and I have chosen to stay in the building tonight so that if it doesn't work out or if Zach panics, I am close by and can intercede.

To those teachers and paras at school, to those door greeters on Sunday mornings, to the man that greets my son with a hand shake, a hug, a warm smile and sermon notes.  To the woman that touches Zach's shoulder each Sunday during greeting time and tells him she has missed him and is so happy to see him.  To the teenagers who give up their Friday nights and so faithfully assist as one on one helpers at Barnabas Respite Nights. To the 10 people waiting to receive us this evening. Thank you. Thank you for caring about Zach. Thank you for serving him and and for serving our entire family. Thank you for being responsive to the call to help.  Thank you for caring for special needs students.  You make my son's days joy filled and something to look forward to. And for that, I am eternally thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Know What That Means- By: Kelli J Gavin for Writers Unite!

I Know What That Means By: Kelli J Gavin After my family moved to Minneapolis three years ago, my parents refused to visit us in our ne...