Saturday, August 4, 2018

Josh's 22 Week Update-Calmer of the Storm



Josh met with a new Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapist this past Tuesday at The U of M in Minneapolis.  She was very encouraging to Josh and changed up Josh's whole regime of exercises. As in she told him to stop doing all the exercises that he was doing. He was shocked.  She told him that all he was doing was training his brain to do the exercises, not to learn how to function in real life.  

SO what does this mean?  She wants Josh to try real life things. Something everyday.  Not everything all at once, but something.  So, she wants him to listen to music in an enclosed space. Play golf, putting in the dinning room, load the dishwasher, stay upright  for as long as he can. She wants him to go out to lunch with the kids and I. Go to the store. Attempt church with an ear plug for his one hearing ear.  She wants his brain to relax and assimilate rather than constantly being on high alert. 

Yes, bright lights and loud noises are jarring. Yes, he needs to lay down about 4-6 times a day.  Yes, he feels horrible at times, but Life has now become his therapy.  We went to lunch the other day.  It was challenging, but he did it!  We listened to music in the car and when Zach  asked to turn the music up, Josh did it. Josh sat in on a meeting with Zach's social worker on Friday morning. And he mounted the new three wheeled bike and rode a bit with Lily.  Thank you family for this gift. (This was very challenging and took to bed for quite some after. )  But he did these things.  

Josh had a couple good days this week.  He woke up Thursday was was doing alright until about 4 pm, and then struggled the rest of the day.  Friday morning until about noon was challenging but he rested when he needed to, stayed hydrated and was present as much as he could be. 

This week was also the week of a ridiculous amount of doctor appointments.  ENT (extreme facial pressure) , Eye doctor as Josh needs glasses, U of M therapist as I mention and the dentist for a cleaning.  But he went to these appointments. He did it.

This week, I believe 8 friends stopped over for a visit.  Thank you. Thank you for spending time with Josh just talking and sitting on the couch. For praying with and for Josh. Thank you friends for all the fruit and yummy food.  Thank you to Zach's main teacher at Chanhassen High School, Miss Jenna, for stopping over with yummies and to visit Zach and say hi to our family. Zach was elated. Thank you friends for assembling bikes, for fixing the brakes, for folding laundry while I am work and for hugging me longer that necessary when I return. Thank you for your love, your continued prayers and your constant encouragement to our entire family. To each of you that have reached out, THANK YOU!

Josh knows what it feels like when he overdoes it. So each day, he won't do a lot, but will continue to do something.  And that is to be applauded.  This will continue to be a long road that needs to be traveled.  But we are so thankful for The Calmer of the Storm.

Calmer of the Storm
downhere

When everything is wrong
The day has passed and nothing's done
And the whole world seems against me
When I'm rolling in my bed, there's a storm in my head
I'm afraid of sinking in despair.
Teach me, Lord to have faith
In what you're bringing me will
Change my life and bring you glory 
There on the storm I am learning to let go
Of the will that I so long to control
There may I be in your arms eternally
I thank you, Lord, you are the calmer of the storm.
You rebuke the wind and the waves
Once again I find I'm amazed, the power of your will
'Cause I'm a child of little faith
I feel the wind and forget your grace
And you say, "Peace, be still."
Teach me, Lord to have faith
In what you're bringing me will
Change my life and bring you glory 
There on the storm I am learning to let go
Of the will that I so long to control
There may I be in your arms eternally
I thank you, Lord, you are the calmer of the storm.
And oh, when a torment blows
The middle of the sea
May I have never trust, never trust in me
'Cause There in your arms I find no tragedy
There on the storm I am learning to let go
The white waves high, it's crashing over the deck
And I don't know where I go
Where are you Lord, is this ship going down?
The mast is gone so throw this anchor
Should I jump and try to swim to land?
There on the storm, teach me God to understand
Of your Will that I just cannot control
There may I see all your love protecting me
I thank you Lord, you are the calmer of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Know What That Means- By: Kelli J Gavin for Writers Unite!

I Know What That Means By: Kelli J Gavin After my family moved to Minneapolis three years ago, my parents refused to visit us in our ne...